Friday, August 22, 2008

Bali 3






I attach some photos I took when I was in Ubud. I was lucky to be able to witness a unique Balinese cremation ceremony. According to the locals, all hindus have to be cremated, however since the ceremony is so grand and costly the family member who died first is kept in a family temple in their house compound until the second or third death. The higher their rank in the society, the taller the pagoda they carry during the procession. It was told that during the royal cremation ceremony the pagoda was so tall that they had to cut down a lot of trees and electric cables to give ways to the procession. It was indeed a big occasion that road has to be closed but for Balinese it is a normal parade that they should respect. To my suprise cremation which normaly is a sad occassion in other places was a very joyful ones in Bali where all family members get together to celebrate the final journey of the deceased to Heaven. To me, the best thing about travelling is you learn to appreciate the diversity of beautiful cultures of the world which ultimately brings us together as one, living in peace and harmony.